There was a time when we used to prepare just two varieties of chutney's at my home. One was coconut chutney and the other was red chutney. After my marriage, when I myself had to cook for the family who loves to have chutney in almost all the breakfast items, I kept on experimenting with chutney's. There are different varieties of chutney's in my space already. Do check them out.
Tomato- Onion Chutney is one my trials which everyone loved to have it with my recent trial on South Indian Special- Thatte Idli. Recipe will soon follow. One thing I loved about this chutney was that it had all the spice and tangy flavors except coconut. Sometimes its such a big headache for me to grate the coconut early in the busy mornings for the breakfast. Though I try to plan ahead, I just feel lazy to do that sometimes, yet, I somehow manage to keep a delicious chutney for my family :)
So, here comes the recipe of Onion-Tomato Chutney
Oil - 1 tsp
Chana Dal( bengal gram) - 1 tbsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 3 or 4
Onion - 1 Sliced
Tomatoes - 2 Chopped
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
A pinch of Hing,(Asafoetida)
Few Curry leaves
1. Heat 1 or 2 tsp of oil in a pan. Add Chana dal to it and roast till light brown and crisp.
2. Add jeera and saute it for few secs.
3. Drop in some red chillies and just toss it. Take this out in a mixer jar and allow it to cool.
4. Meanwhile, in the same pan add onions and fry till its translucent.
5. Add chopped tomatoes to it and cook till they turn soft. Switch off the flame.
6. When all the above sauted ingredients are cooled, blend it in a mixer to a smooth paste. Add salt to taste and transfer the mixture to a serving bowl.
7. Prepare the seasoning mentioned above and mix it with the chutney.
Delicious Onion- Tomato chutney is ready to be served with hot idli's or dosa's.
Try out more Chutney recipes here.