Today, My blog hits 100,000+ hits. HURRAY ! Thanks to each and every visitor here.
Today's special recipe is our favorite rice dish ---EGG BIRYANI.
Some restaurants here, disappoint us when we order Egg Biryani. They just add boiled eggs to the regular flavored rice and serve it as Egg Biryani. Thats not the way right? There are only a few restaurants we know where we get super delicious perfect Egg Biryani's and one such restaurant is near our home. I was so happy when my husband said that this biryani tasted like the one we have in our favorite restaurant :))
Here's the recipe of simple Egg Dum Biryani
Boiled Eggs - 6
Parboiled Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Onions - 2 + 1 (for deep frying)
Tomatoes - 2 chopped
Haldi/Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Few Freshly chopped Coriander leaves
Few Fresh mint leaves
Ginger- Garlic paste - 3tsp
Bay Leaf- 1
Cinnamon Stick/ Dalchini - 2 inch piece
Cloves/ Laung - 5
Cardamom - 2
Red Chilli powder - 2 tsp
Coriander Powder/ Dhania powder - 1 tbsp
Green Chillies - 2 slit
Oil - 2 tbspns + Oil for deep frying onions
A Saffron Strands soaked in water or milk
1. Cook rice with almost 5 cups of water with little salt and 2 tsp oil. When the rice is 3/4th cooked, strain the water and spread the rice on a wide plate. Allow it to cool.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add Bay leaves, cinnamon stick, laung, Cardamom.
3. Add finely chopped onions and fry till they turn slightly brown in color.
4. Add Ginger- garlic paste and saute for a minute.
5. Add Red chilli powder, Haldi and dhania powder. Fry for a minute and then add finely chopped Tomatoes. Mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook till you notice oil separating from the masala.
6. Now add slit green chillies, salt, freshly chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Mix well.
7. Add egg halves and mix gently. Pour little water if you feel the masala is too dry. Cook for another minute.
8. Spread the masala evenly and spread the cooked rice on top of the egg masala to form a second layer.
9. Pour the saffron water along over the rice. Spread some fried onions, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
10. Cover the vessel with an aluminuim foil and cover it with a lid.
11. Place this vessel on a tava and cook on a low-medium heat for 20- 25 mins.
Hot steaming Delicious Egg Biryani is ready to be served.
Note: You can substitute Tomatoes with plain curds. Don't add both.
If you have more time, you can also go for wheat dough for sealing the biryani vessel instead of aluminium foil.