Spinach, also known as 'Palak' in Hindi - is a very good source of Iron and other Vitamins. I always hated this leafy vegetable and now I see my son making faces whenever I catch up with this in the vegetable market. Oh! God! How can I blame him when I did all those at his age. This is one such effort from me to feed my kid this nutritious veggie and I am glad he didn't realize- its PALAK :)
Here's the recipe of Moong Dal - Palak Curry
Spinach - 1 bunch
Yellow Split Moong Dal - 1 and 1/2 cup
Haldi/ Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies - 3
Tomatoes - 3 chopped
Onions - 1 chopped
Sambar powder Powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - Few
Hing (Asafoetida) - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/ 2 tsp
1. Soak Moong Dal for atleast 2 hours.
2. Clean, wash and chop the spinach.
3. In a pressure cooker, add soaked moong dal, chopped spinach( Palak), Onion, green chillies and Tomatoes. Pour some water and allow it to cook for 1 or 2 whistle.
4. When cooled, take all this in a blender and coarse grind it. This Step is Optional if you get a mashy texture after cooking it in a cooker.
5. Pour some water and add Haldi, Sambar powder and Salt to taste. Bring it to a boil and then switch off the flame.
6. Prepare the seasoning with the ingredients mentioned above and then add it to the curry.
Serve Hot with Steamed Rice and a tsp of Ghee.
This was our dinner last night - Simple and filling.
Hot Steamed Rice, Palak- Moong Dal Curry and Rava Fish(Mackeral) Fry