Bored of the regular Sambar or Rasam? Try out this simple yet delicious Sweet Corn Sambar which goes very well with hot steamed rice. It might sound weird to some but its worth a try because the taste was simply awesome. Have a request from my dear ones at home to prepare this again. It was hard for them to believe that I added sweet corn to this curry. It has a tangy , mild sweetness and bit spicy touch. Try it out and you will know it better. :)
Here's the recipes of Sweet Corn Sambar
Recipe Source: You Too Can Cook( recipe slightly modified)
Raw Sweet Corn Kernels -2 cup
Coriander/ dhania leaves - 1/2 cup
Garlic pods- 5
Tamarind paste- 3 tsp
Haldi/ Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Pepper corns- appx 6 to 8
Fenugreek seeds/ Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder - 2 tsp (or less depending on how spicy or heavy you need)
Salt to taste
Jaggery - 3/4 tsp
Oil- 3 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Hing/ Asafoetida powder -1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 2-3 (optional)
1. Make a fine paste of fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, garlic pods, peppercorns and dhania leaves.
2. Coarse grind the sweet corn kernels and keep aside.
3. Add in a tsp of oil in a cooking vessel and add the above two paste. Saute it for a couple of minutes.
4. Add tamarind paste, haldi and sambar powder. Mix well and pour water depending on your required curry consistency.
5. Bring it to a boil and add jaggery and Salt to taste.
6. Season it with the ingredients mentioned under seasoning section.
7. Remove it from stove and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Tastes best with hot Steamed rice.
This is off to the event - 60 days to Christmas