Chicken( Murgh) Do Pyaza is a very well known Mughlai dish. It goes well with rice or any kinds of breads, roti's , dosa's, or idli's. The name " Do Pyaza" is for the onions which is added to the dish at two different stages.
Chicken- 200 gms
Onions - 2(finely chopped) +1(diced)
Tumeric powder/ Haldi - 3/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 2-3 tsp
Salt to taste
Fresh cream (optional- I skipped it)
Tomatoes -2 (medium sized)
Ginger- garlic paste - 2 tsp
Dhania powder/ Coriander powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi - few
Cashewnuts - 7-8
Green chillies - 4 (slit)
Shahi Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Oil - 1 tbsp
1. Soak Cashewnuts in water for 1/2 hour
2. Blend chopped tomatoes and cashewnuts in a blender to make a fine paste/ puree.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non- stick wok and add shahi jeera to it.
4. After few seconds of sauteing it, add chopped onions and fry till it turns light brown in color.
5. Add Ginger- garlic paste and fry it for 2 mins.
6. Add slit green chillies along with other dry spices like haldi, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Saute it for a minute and add tomato and cashew paste.
7. Cook for 2 mins and then drop in the cleaned chicken pieces. Mix well, cover the wok with a lid and allow it the cook in low to medium flame.( don't add water as the water content from tomato puree and chicken will be sufficient enough for cooking)
8. When the chicken pieces are half cooked, add onions cubes and Salt to taste. Cook further till chicken is cooked properly and the oil starts to separate.
9. Add few crushed kasoori methi and mix well.
10. Finish it off with fresh cream and garnish with some freshly chopped coriander leaves.