Water Melon Dosa This was yesterday's special breakfast for us. A unique dish indeed. My little boy was very happy with the dosa color and the sweetness. Kept the secret till my family finished their happy breakfast. Hubby was surprised to hear it was WATER MELON DOSA.
Strange thing striked to me when I was cutting the watermelon. Had heard of this dosa long back when someone in my family had prepared it. I didn't know the recipe nor the taste and wondered why to make a dosa when the fruit tastes simply great. Gave the cut pieces to my son and I noticed he was eating only the deep red part and leaving the light pink part for me. Also remembered mom and granny used to say even the white part of the melon has more fibres and they too are equally good. But none of them attempted to eat those. So included all those in my dosa batter and made it sweet so that even my son can enjoy it. I am glad that they were happy. It tastes similar to our traditional Jaggery Dosa/ Methi Sweet dosa.( I will post the recipe later). So except the color my family didn't find any changes compared to Jaggery(Bella in Kannada) Dosa.
So here's the quick recipe of Water Melon Sweet Dosa.
Light pink and white part of Water Melon - 1 and 1/2 cup
Dosa Rice - 1 and 1/2 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Ghee/ Clarified Butter
Jaggery- 3/4 cup or according to your taste-buds
1. Soak Dosa rice for atleast 4 hours.
2. Grind the light pink and white part of the water melon fruit to a smoothe texture without adding water.
3. Now grind soaked rice and grated coconut along with the above puree to a smooth batter. Add water if required.
4. Pour this in a wide bowl and mix scraped or grated jaggery to this till they dissolve completely. Leave it overnight. You can add jaggery just before you plan to make dosa's or the previous night. Its better to add it previous night because it completely gets dissolved and blends thoroughly till next morning.
5. Just before making dosa's, add salt and mix well.
6. Take a ladle full of batter and place it on center of the greased dosa tava and slightly press it. Don't move the ladle in circular motion like we do normally. Dosa tastes best when its thick like Set Dosa's.
7. Cook it on both sides and serve hot with Ghee-Clarified Butter.
Beautiful Color of the dosa's is because of the light pink part of the water melon fruit and Jaggery.
Do try this recipe and let me know how it tasted.
Check out my other blogs