Onion Chicken. My husband requested me to prepare this last Sunday. I was totally new to this. Never heard of Onion Chicken before. I asked him how did this strange new dish emerged for him. He laughed and said he had tasted this during his high school days from his mom and the taste still lingers. She had prepared this dish only once and never later. Now that was a challenge for me because it was living upto his " Maa ka khaana". I called her up and asked how did she prepare and she said she completely forgot that she had prepared anything of such. Years had passed, she had forgotten the dish. Now I had to try this all my myself. Anyways I started and it all got finished in minutes. So I was happy that I lived upto the expected taste. Hubby was happy because the dish was unique and had great flavors. After tasting this he said his Mom had prepared the gravy version and I tried out a drier side. On a whole, this was a successful mission for me. Still I agree nobody can compete with Maa ka Khaana ;)
So that was the story behind this dish. Here's the recipe of simple and yummy Onion Chicken.
Chicken pieces - 250 g
Onions - 3
Dhania/ Coriander powder - 2tsp
Red Chilli powder - 2 tsp
Haldi/ Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Ginger- Garlic paste - 2tsp
Salt to taste
Amchur powder - 1tsp
Oil - 2 -3 tsp
Corn flour - 2 tsp (optional)
1. Slice the onions and fry it with little oil till they turn translucent in color.
2. Add Ginger- garlic paste and fry for another minute. Cool this and then make fine paste by blending it in a mixer.
3. Now in the same kadai, take 1 tsp oil and add curry leaves. Fry for a minute and then add this onion and ginger-garlic paste.
4. Add Chicken pieces and cook it for 5-10 mins in a medium flame. Don't add water as chicken itself will leave water and it gets cooked all by itself.
5. Now add all the dry ingredients that is haldi, Red chilli powder, Dhania powder, Salt and Amchur powder.
6. Mix well and cook again till oil seperates. If you want to have this with roti's or chapati, switch off the flame at this stage else keep stirring till the gravy thickens. You can also use little cornflour dissolved in water to thicken the gravy and further stirring leads to drier version like the shown picture recipe.
7. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and Onion rings. Serve hot.
Check out my other blogs