Brinjal/ Eggplant is known by many names in India like Baingan in Hindi and Badenekayi in Kannada. I am not a big fan of these eggplants nor is my family. I only prepare sambar, bajjis and this Bharta or Gojju from brinjals. Everyone in my family loves this dish and it gets vanished in minutes. I know many people prepare this in so many different varieties but the recipe I follow is from my Grandma which I have been tasting from childhood. She used to bake this brinjals in charcoal fire. Thats the traditional way of cooking it actually. But now a days we have these kitchen friendly oven which makes our cooking much easier and we much lazier.
I bought these lovely brinjals from native while heading back to Bangalore with the one and only intention of preparing this lovely dish Baingan ka Bharta/ Badanekai Gojju.
Here's the simple recipe of Baingan Ka Bharta/ Badanekai Gojju.
EggPlant/ Brinjal/ Badanekayi/ Baingan - 2 Big sized( as shown in the pic) (Small or green brinjals are not suitable for this dish)
Onions - 2 Chopped finely
Green Chillies - 4-5 Finely chopped
Fresh Grated coconut- 3-4 tbsp
Salt to taste.
1. Grease the brinjals with little oil and keep it in the oven for grilling.
2. Poke a knife in the middle. When it enters easily that means the eggplants are fully cooked.
3. Remove and allow it to cool for some time.
4. Remove the outer skin and mash the brinjals with your hands Not using the blender.
5. Add all the above ingredients and mix well.
6. Simple and tasty Baingan Ka Bharta is ready to serve.
Try this recipe and let me know how it tasted. Thank You.